The “Minesweeper Framework” consists of 4 successive phases.
1. Strategic alignment
In the first step we deal with our strategic alignment. This involves the following questions:
- Which strategic directions are defined?
- Which strategic topics should the company focus on in the next 2-3 years?
- What options are available?
In case there is no strategic alignment defined yet, this can be worked out in a first workshop in close cooperation with the company management.
2. Disruptive future scenarios
In a second phase we will turn our market situation upside down!
- Which disruptive future scenarios are recognizable that could negatively affect or even destroy our business?
- Which developments and trends (within or across industries) can destroy our current business model or our strategic objectives? These can be short, medium or long term – regional or worldwide.
Trends are used to help develop disruptive future scenarios.
3. Idea generation
The third phase is about idea generation. Here we look for possible solutions to either skilfully avoid disruption scenarios or even make them usable for our own value creation.
Therefore, we take a closer look at our strategic alignment and the corresponding disruption scenarios individually. We now develop ideas for each scenario. Various micro innovation tools, such as the Inspiration Card Sets, can be applied.
Finally, we evaluate the different approaches developed in relation to two important factors. These need to be identified depending on the project.
The potential fields for innovation defined here can now be further processed in a subsequent design thinking process.